A backing vocalist who stole the show everywhere she performed through her dance and vocals

I remember the first time I saw her perfom was on the screen through one of the live performances of STIMELA many years ago. This was from one of the DVDs my eldest brother Leshoka Joe Legate had in his music collection - my love for music, especially African music is credited to the influence I had from my brother Leshoka. I used to be starstruck at how dedicated he was in buying original music albums during the time of music piracy that has hurt the pockets of many artists. My brother would always tell me that "You are an artist, or at least one day after matric you'll pursue art as a profession, you must respect artists' work and buy their music. Copying the CD is not good for the arts economy." His statement made a lot of sense and he lived by example. He inspired me to buy music when I was able to. I am glad that I buy original CD's and LPs to support the musicians today. 

Last year I attended a live concert at the Market Theater that celebrated the 60th Birthday Anniversary of the legendary McCoy Mrubata. This performance comprised of 15 artists Mrubata worked with over the years during his remarkable journey of his career. The artists included Mme Mandisa Dlanga, Prince Lengoasa, Paul Hanmer, Jabu Magubane, Lex Futshane and many other young musicians. To see Mme Mandisa perform live was such a great experience. She is one talented performer and she did steal the show when she danced on the John Kani Theatre that night in July last year. 

Mandisa Dlanga was born in Lusikisiki, in the rural Transkei. She left her home to relocate to Johannesburg where she started working with Gibson Kente, a well known South African playwright and director , singing, dancing an acting.


MANDISA DLANGA, ESTIVAL NIGHT 2013

In the early 80’s she was part of a trio called Jaws which enjoyed great success on the SA music scene. Mandisa is also an accomplished session singer, having worked for artists such as Chicco, Stimela, Yvonne Chaka Chaka, Brenda Fassie, Mercy Phakela and many others.

It was in this capacity that she met Johnny Clegg in studio in 1986 and has been recording and touring with him ever since, this making her the longest serving member in Clegg's current line-up.

In demand at home in South Africa as a session singer, she has also worked internationally with Simply Red, Paul Simon, Jennifer Rush, Hugh Masekela, Miriam Makeba, Jonas Gwanga, Lucky Dube and recently with the Corsican artists I Muvrini.

 (johnnyglegg.com)


More readings: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sowetanlive.co.za/amp/sundayworld/news/2019-07-30-johnny-the-bridge-we-all-needed/ 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mg.co.za/article/2017-04-20-00-many-rivers-for-phiri-to-cross/%3famp


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Timeless South African Theatre classic, Woza Albert at Selaelo Maredi Theatre, Alex Theatre Company and Academy, 12th Avenue, Alexandra Township

THE HEAD and THE LOAD, Kentridge's Celebration and Homage to the Africa Soldiers who fought in World War I

Investec Cape Town Art Fair 2024: A Vibrant Showcase of Global Art